Family-Information from A to Z
All information about accommodation: HERE
Country (general information)
- Austria is a country in the center of Europe with over 8.7million citizens. Styria with its nick name “The Green Heart of Austria” is the province where the athletes will demonstrate courage and experience joy.
- Graz is the capital of Styria with 282.479 citizens. It is the second largest city in Austria. Right through the city runs the river Mur. The city is known for its historic downtown and has many museums. In 2003 Graz was named a cultural capital of Europe.
- Schladming is the second largest town in the county of Liezen. Schladming is a very popular place for winter sports in Styria. It also offers a very picturesque downtown with a historic old stone entry gate.This alpine town with a worldwide reputation has plenty to offer in winter as well as summer.
- Ramsau is located at the foot of the highest mountain of Styria–theDachstein. It offers accommodations for about 6.500 guests and thus it is the largest tourism community in Styria. Its various sport attractions vitalize body and mind equally. Hence the nickname for this quaint high alpine village is “The Fountain of Strength”.
- Language: The official language in Austria is German.
- Weather: Austria is located within a temperate climatic zone. During the month of March Schladming, Rohrmoos and Ramsau still features a cool climate with mild daytime temperatures(roughly -5 up to 15 degrees Celsius/ 23 up to 59 degrees Fahrenheit). Whereas Grazmight already have spring temperatures (between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius/ 41 and59 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Time Zone: During March 14th–25th, 2017 Austria has winter time and therefore is one hour behind UTC.
- Electrical information: Voltage: 220 V | Frequency: 50 Hz | Electric outlets: Type F, this outlets also works with Type C and E plugs.
Accreditation for families: From March 16 to March 24 in Graz (Messe Graz, Halle A, Foyer Ost), Schladming (Congress)
Please wear at all times to insure proper access to games facilities and events. Lost credentials must be reported immediately to Family Services.
Family members will wear white cards including: Access to family lounges, family receptions and Public transportation in Graz (Holding Graz), Schladming (Planaibusse) and Ramsau (Ramsauer Verkehrsbetriebe).
You will find all Information about Car Rental - HERE
Family lounges are opened from 17 to 24. March 2017 between 9 am and 6 pm.
Anyone who wants to enter the lounge will be asked to show the staff their credentials.
Places: Graz (Messe Graz, Halle A, 1st Floor, Foyer // Hauptplatz), Schladming (Wetzlarplatz), Ramsau (Cross Country, Snowshoeing), Rohrmoos (slope 32: Tauernalm // Schwaigerlift: Schwaigerhof). Beverage & snacks will be provided.
The family evening offers a wonderful opportunity to meet and exchange.
>> 20. March, Graz (Opera)
>> 21. March, Schladming (Congress)
Start: 6 pm. Culinary and entertainment will be provided. Families will get a seperate link for registration.
Opening & Closing Ceremony
Tickets for Opening & Closing Ceremonies are available from 6th February: www.oeticket.com
The Opening Ceremony of the SOWWG Austria 2017 will be held at "Planai Stadion" Schladming and the Closing Ceremony at the "Merkur Arena" Graz. Both outdoor venues. Please notice, that the Opening and Closing Ceremony will take place outside, so you need to be dressed accordingly. For the opening and closing ceremony large bags or backpacks are prohibited - security checks will be taking place!!!
For family members and those who are not members of the delegations, there will be parking (for a fee) available at the venues, but please keep in mind “first come – first serve“!
Public parking is available at:
- Graz Messe à Street „Fröhlichgasse“
- Graz Eishalle à parking garage
- Rohrmoos à at the valley station of the ”Hochwurzenbahn”
- Ramsau à marked parking areas
Families can also park at designated parking lots (for a fee) at the venues (limited space).
For the Opening ceremony, families are recommended to use public transportation only, as there will be no parking spaces available. No parking or access permits will be issued. All private vehicles will be re-directed by traffic police, away from the Planai Stadium in Schladming.
Austria is a member of the EuropeanUnion and the local currency is Euro.
1 Euro = 1,1216US Dollar(28.10.2016)
Cash is a common payment option in Austria. The following bills and coins are being used:
>> Bills come in 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euros.
>> Coins come in 1 and 2 Euro coins as well as 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 Cent coins. 1 Euro = 100 Cent
It is possible to withdraw money 24/7 at all official banks. There are also cash machines / ATMs at or near all sports venues. Accepted are local and foreign debit cards (Maestro) and the common credit cards with pincode. At some cash machines / ATMs fees could apply. These fees vary from bank to bank.
Credit Cards are accepted in the majority of hotels, restaurants, stores, taxis and gas stations. At many places you’ll find signs with the accepted cards at the front door. It is important to mention, that not all taxis accept credit cards. The most common credit cards are: Mastercard and VISA Card.
Have a look at our timetable - HERE
- Graz: +43 (0)316 - 8075 - 0 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schladming: +43 (0)3687 - 22 777 15 | email@example.com
- Ramsau am Dachstein: +43 (0)3687 - 818 338 - 17 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Transport / Shuttle service
All information about transport - Train, bus, airport taxi, shuttle service, car rental - HERE
You will find all information about the venues - HERE